Wednesday Race 4 2018-06-27

Over the last few days we have been experiencing the centre of a high pressure area but with the centre moving east the forecast for the evening race was good 11kt northeasterly. It certainly didn’t look that way inside the harbour! The assembling yachts struggled to find sufficient wind to maneuver up to the start line.

The fleet of 6 yachts managed, considering the wind conditions to make good starts with Incantation, recently back in the water, moving well alongside Flair as they tacked up the harbour towards the large cruise liner on the Aluminium Jetty.

Sunday 2018-06-24

A beautiful day but not quite so good for sailing… The squib fleet had been out in the morning and some of the sailors moved swiftly onto the offshore fleet to take part in the race in some very fickle NW winds in the harbour.

There was so little wind at the start that navigation round the start line pin end was a little difficult but the 3 yachts got away with Rhumbull and Jetstream leading off with Flair struggling to get some way on as she tried out her lightweight spinnaker.

The course selected was Bolivar, Penrhos and finish and the start was delayed until 14:10 to avoid the two ferry departures at 13:50 and 14:10; however it took some time for the leading yacht to get anywhere near to the harbour entrance!

As they sailed across the bay out of the harbour there were patches where there was almost no wind and both Jetstream and Rhumbull pretty much stopped. Flair sailing from a long way behind Rhumbull and a little to leeward started to overhaul her but at they approached Bolivar and had to tack they were still behind by the time they rounded the mark.

Photo courtesy Mark Rosenthal

Report on First Cruise of 2018 19th to 20th May Porthdinllaen

Meeting for the briefing in the committee room of Holyhead Sailing Club on the Friday evening – our
first task was to decide how early to start. With our destination being Porthdynllaen (PY to all
“yachtys”) and to give the boats a chance of getting as far South as possible before the tidal stream
turned North. With a 05:00 start decided upon, we all left the club early in anticipation of the next
32890225 10214464198292167 8571315505044914176 nWith light southerly winds 5 boats left the harbour. New members and first time cruisers Steve and
Rachel Wroe on Cerwen; a big HSC welcome too them, David and Julie Bridges on Swansong their
Westley Discus, Steve and Sandra on Explore, Paul and Cath Bond on Hierro and myself on Madam
Wen with crew John Astley and Sue James (Vice Commodore). We were blessed with a glorious
sunrise and flat seas on our way to South Stack, photo courtesy of Sue James, and then a beat South in light 3 to 4. We were all
fairly close to PY before the tide turned against us and all safely anchored by 13:30
Some drinks at the Ty Coch on a lovely evening and shearing the beach with a wedding party who
had also picked this day, in common with Harry and Megan to “tie the knot.”
The return leg on Sunday with a slightly stronger force 4, still from the South proved to be a better
sailing day but with more overcast weather. The Stacks provided a more challenging scenario with the wind
accelerating up to 30kn off the North side of the mountain and catching many of us over canvased.
All safely back in Holyhead by mid-afternoon.
Thank you to all who took part.

Currently there are only 4 yachts registered for this weekend's cruise to Greystones and Dunlaoghaire but its not too late to enter! Weather forecast is promising! See the link below for more details.

26th to 28th May Greystones Dunlaoghaire.


3rd Wednesday Evening Race for May 2018

30th May

With a more or less flat calm as the crews prepared the 5 yachts for the race start at 18:30 there was a call from the OOD Wendy asking what we considered as a sensible course. It was agreed that we should just attempt to go to Clipera and back! The 5 yachts were accompanied by 2 Squibs and as they circled waiting for the countdown there was just enough breeze to move forward although negotiating the other racers and the moored boats was a distinct challenge. The northerly wind was, as usual, pretty fickle as the fleet moved out towards the Aluminium Jetty; Jetstream and Rhumbull being the lead boats with newcomer Hydrology getting ahead of Flair IV. Jetstream had already got to Clipera by the time the third, fourth and fifth yachts had reached the open waters of Holyhead Bay!

Rhumbull also made good progress as the remainder of the fleet struggled against the tide in almost flat calm as they approached Clipera with Jetstream and Rhumbull well on their way back into the harbour! Carpe Diem who had been in 3rd place dropped to last place with the current taking them down towards Penrhos! Flair followed Hydrology and they were relatively close as Flair tried to change head sail 4 times between the code zero and her overlap genoa; by the finish line they were getting pretty slick at this maneuver just leaving the thick coat of weed on her hull as the remaining issue.

As usual the weather gave us a great if challenging sail. The fleet for Wednesday Evening Races is growing again…. Come on all you Holyhead Sailors get out and support the club racing!

The series results for the tandem series are now available on the links below. Yachts with current IRC Certificates are in the Fast Cruisers Class and their results are on the IRC handicapping system whereas the non IRC certificate holders are in the NHC Cruisers Class. As can be seen the winner of the May NHC and IRC Classes this year is Jetstream with 3 points in each class.

results bannerNHC Results


results bannerIRC Results


2nd Wednesday Evening Race for May 2018

Well that weather forecast "The second race of this season's Wednesday evening races starts as normal at 18:30. High Water is 18:41 BST and the weather is set to be NE 11kt going E 12kt later" simply didn't work out!

With a favourable Northerly wind Wendy, our OOD, set a course for Bolivar, Meath and finish. We welcomed Carpe Diem back to the racing fleet but as the 4 yachts prepared for the start the wind became very fickle with almost nothing to drive them over the start line.

A quick update

While out on Sunday 2018-05-13 in Holyhead Bay I noted these pot buoys without flags

lobsterpots 2018 05 13

Photo taken from 53.359, -4.614

These have been reported to 

Fisheries Officer

Ffôn/Tel:  03000625777   
Mobile:  07817124437      
E-bost/E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


CA Lobster pots campaign – the petition is live!

[Thanks to Paul and Cath Bond for bringing this to our attention once again.]

This video was launched at the London Boat Show with a special mention in it of Holyhead and sailing round the top of the Island!