Sitting in the café looking out of the window with the rain bouncing in the puddles it looked like
another Saturday of dinghy racing would be binned.
Sue, Jim and Bernie were chomping at the bit to get on the water, the final pressure was seeing the
cadets rigging 420’s, then rain stopped and it was go go go.

Race 1.

5 Lasers rocked up and the cut and thrust began for the best position on the line with lots of up up
up being shouted.

No report yet but results are in for 18th November 

results banner

No report for 11th November but here are the results.

 results banner

Dinghy report 4th Nov 2017.

7 Lasers turned up in the gusting F7 harbour at Holyhead Sailing Club.
With helpers coming out of the woodwork it was decided to have RYA race officer Richard Date in launch 2 backed up by Sue as time keeper and flag men Ken and Bernie. Elfryn and Stretch manned the oppy rib to provide safety cover.


Cogger and Dave S were well and truly caught by the laser pack on the starting line, both being pinned on the pin end boat as the gun went and having to reverse off, resulting in them coming last and next to last in the two lap triangular course. Mike T covered Craigie who in turn covered Ricardo up the beat and runs. These positions didn’t change to the finishing line.


With 7 Lasers tacking and covering each other up the beat the inevitable happened when a monster gust hit the fleet, Jamie B in son Harri’s Radial Laser on port was unable to miss Craigie’s starboard call and T Boned him (please refer to Craigie’s GoPro coverage of the ramming moment complete with Jaws music on Holyhead sailors posting). Jamie got flung forward and head butted his kicking strap cleat. As Jamie said later a little bit of blood mixed with water goes a long way. He said sorry as Gentleman Jamie would and headed to the beach to recover his composure. The safety rib of Elfryn and Stretch went to beach to check Jamie was ok i.e. That he had’t broken his nose.
Gareth noticed that Cogger’s plan to get close to the beach and have a rest had backfired resulting in him planting his mast into the shallows twice and stood by shouting words of “encouragement”.


Racing resumed with the return of safety rib and pin end boat where there was a call of OCS with sound signal at the start. Mike T returned to start line only to find out he was clear and it was Cogger pushing it who also got in the way for Dave S start with a lot of sorrys being shouted by Cogger.
Mike worked his socks off to get back in the lead just before the finish.
Cragie had more jam than Hartley’s and survived many close capsizes.
Ricardo finished 2nd with Gareth 3rd but losing out on handicap by 9 seconds to Cragie but he still beat Cogger by 4 seconds. It just goes to show there’s only seconds in it with these 10 Minute races.


This race will be remembered for the silver fox Ricardo’s screams of annoyance at himself as he was leading all the way around the sausage course, only to gybe at the bottom mark with the laser wolf pack right behind him and roll it in. He went from 1st to 5th in seconds.
How everybody missed him in the roundup at the mark boat was pure, luck it was mayhem just ask Stretch. First to finish was Mike T then Gareth who went to 5th on handicap. 2nd was Cragie 4 seconds ahead of 3rd Cogger who was 3 seconds ahead of 4th Ricardo, who was 3 seconds ahead of Gareth - one bad gust cost a lot only seconds between the fleet.

Jamie’s nose wasn’t broken and he met the returning fleet on the slipway becoming trolley dolly and even towed the blue rib home to the dinghy compound.
Much banter was expressed in the apres sail tea and biscuits (supplied by Hon Sailing Sec Dawn)
All ready for next weekend Saturday 11 o’clock meet, start at 12 - 4 races back to back.

results banner

A big Thank you to OOD Geraint and Jane for crewing good ship committee boat Colibra..

With Mally off driving his new car he kindly lent Colibra to OOD Geraint and timekeeper Jane to be committee boat.

The harbour was looking good with 10 Oppies - the N Wales squad out training.

Malcolm D stepped up to the mark by driving the windward mark and safety boat.
The windward mark was laid right outside the Marina café window much to the enjoyment of Cogger

Dinghy results Saturday 28th October 2017.

A big thank you to Jim and Bernie in oppy blue rib for providing safety cover

And Sue and Sion in club launch 2 for Mark laying boat. Without you guys it wouldn’t have been possible.


Race 1

With 4 lasers all deciding to use Radial sails the timing element for the finish was kindly removed from the proceedings. This was a wise decision as

Dinghy report 3rd December 2016.

5 Lasers turned up to be greeted by Geraint, Jane and Mal already on Calibre the committee boat and Efryn in the safety launch. A big Thank you for your support in the cold and lumpy conditions.
Cragie started the day by going to the top of Just Enough’s mast a J92 in the Marina. He was freezing wrapping his legs around that metal mast in the cold NE wind straight from Russia.
He was happier later when reacquainted with the watch he had inadvertently left in gents showers the week before.


IMG 1809Craigie spotted the port bias on the line and was heard chuckling to himself as he just cleared the bow of Capt Gareth who tacked and created mayhem in front of John B on starboard. There was a lot of screaming going on.
The first to capsize was Craigie as the wind started picking up with white horses and lumpy seas rolling down the harbour.
John was leading at the windward mark on the second beat but the red mist came down when he went to the wrong red mark (NE instead of NW) allowing Capt Gareth to sneak in and take line honours and the bullet in the 25 min 56 sec race.